nanog mailing list archives

Re: question regarding multi-homing

From: William Herrin <herrin-nanog () dirtside com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:25:00 -0500

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Simon Chen <simonchennj () gmail com> wrote:
I have a question regarding multi-homing, mostly from stub network's
operational point of view. My big question is: what kind of failures
do you usually see from your providers? Link down? Link up, but
withdraw some routes? Link up, no route change, but blackholing
partial or all traffic? Anything else?

Two more failure modes:

Link up, receiving all routes but provider stops propagating your
announcement outward.

Link up but unusably high packet loss to some or all destinations.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004