nanog mailing list archives

Re: FTTH Active vs Passive

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:27:32 -0500

You might look into what's being done in Sweden then, here there are municipality networks who dig up the streets and does fiber to the individual house in "suburbia" (you have to trench your own land though, 4dm deep, 1-2dm wide, they only dig in the street put down the pipe in your trench).

Common cost for the house owner to get this done is in the 2-4kUSD range per house, then you can choose between multiple ISPs to purchase your bw from. 100/100 (symmetric speed) seems to cost 40 USD per month, 10/10 is 5-10 USD/month cheaper.

I've been trying to run the text thru google translate, but the web magic seems to prohibit this from working.

If someone can figure it out better than me, the URL is here (in swedish):

<http://www.sollentunaenergi.se/bredband/ansl_villor.asp>

I'd look more to what they're doing in Rochester, NY: http://rocwiki.org/Sewer_Fiber_Optic_Network Run it in the sewers. The sewer system runs to every building and household in the municipality. No need to re-trench anything.

--Curtis