nanog mailing list archives

Re: Flash Media Servers as Open Proxies

From: Ray Sanders <ray.sanders () villagevoicemedia com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:09:30 -0700

Marshall,

Did you find out via published article, or your own research? Either way I'd like (if you don't mind) more information on this so I can investigate what impact there may be on our systems.

Thanks!

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
I recently found out that the Adobe Flash Media Server (FMS) can operate "out of the box" as an open proxy, enabling other people to steal server resources and bandwidth. Furthermore, I also found that there is an ecosystem of pirates taking advantage of this "feature" to illegally stream sports events (and maybe other stuff as well). Each event uses multiple (stolen) servers and can amount to thousands of streams and Gbps of consumed bandwidth.

I believe but am not 100% sure that there are similar problems with Window Media Servers.

I would like to hear (off-list) from people who have experience fighting this so that we could
maybe pool techniques. I will try to write this up further later.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

--
-"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."
-Niels Bohr