nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ready to get your federal computer license?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:28:29 -0400

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:20:55 -0400
Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner () nic-naa net> wrote:

randy,

moveon is a maine-based org. it is an effective, fund raising,
partisan organization. it is much more than a click-and-opine
vehicle, it puts hundreds of thousands of dollars into competitive
races, and has a competent political director.

to create a "NagOn" we would have to hire or appoint a political
director, and a financial director, and charge each with framing the
issue, and executing a seven figure plan, and a communications
director, to put the message with the money in targeted media
markets, and finally, to show teeth, drop the margin of error, or on
the order of high five, low six figures, in targeted congressional
races, for challengers and incumbants.

in about a year after starting down this path, the "Congressman, its
NagOn on line one" conversation would be slightly different from
today, and in several years time, more so.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I don't know that a NagOn is the best way or the only way to make
progress.  I do know that the most likely source of that kind of
funding is (many of) our employers, who may not have technical
excellence on the top of their lists.  But I'm even more certain that
if technical people never speak up, their message will never be heard,
except perhaps by accident.