nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:17:32 -0400

Key characteristics of broadband : always on capability (reasonably, DSL ok, dial up no). I would argue 7mb is
broadband even if its over carrier pigeon. (meets always on criteria).

I think the threshold for cut off is somewhere between 256kbit/s and 1.5mbit/s. If you don't think 1.5mbit is
broadband, you need to consider tiers... Most of the worlds population will not see *that* speed in 20yrs.

Deepak