nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSPF vs IS-IS vs PrivateAS eBGP

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:29:26 -0500

Clue Store wrote:
I couldn't agree more. Most of my staff are still under the impression in
Cisco land that the "network 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0" statement injects that
network into OSPF, when it simply turns on OSPF for the interfaces that are
in that network. I'm really glad to see Cisco that made this change in
OSPFv3 for v6.

Cisco legacy commands make it hard on those learning fresh. I still get annoyed when I can't use CIDR notation in a config statement. I think, if nothing else, v6 is giving Cisco a fresh start at reimplementing some things.

After dealing with Juniper awhile, I shifted some policies to mirror Juniper's method of doing things. At least that sorted out some confusion for others in the routers. Sadly, Cisco specific shortcuts still look cleaner and easier to manage in the config, but they also require more thought and understanding of what is going on.

Jack