nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Addressing Help

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:24:43 +0930

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:09:00 +0900
Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

Isn't it great that we never have to worry about IPv4 style addressing
issues (e.g. sizing the subnet, manually configuring the addresses, or
having an "address configuration server" attached to the segment to
manage addresses) when dealing with Ethernet in the last 27 years or
so? Why is that, and what can we learn from that?

among many other things, that autoconf sucks in significant instances

Presumably you're talking about duplicate addresses? If that was enough
of a problem then I think there'd be an IEEE protocol to perform
duplicate address detection and possibly recovery.