nanog mailing list archives

Re: Botnet hunting resources

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk-lists () cybernothing org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:52:46 -0600

Jack Bates wrote:

J.D. Falk wrote:
Hi, Luke! MAAWG recently published a document to help ISPs deal with
infected machines in their networks. It's not the same kind of
pressure, but (as we learned with open relays at MAPS) pressure isn't
very effective unless there are tools available to deal with the problem.

It could also use a lot more resources? Watching traffic flows for
traffic destined to known C&C addresses is nice, but including a pointer
to a resource that actually gives those addresses is much more useful.
For those who don't deal with it every day, the document just says they
need to spend even more time with google.

I'll share your comments with the document authors. They're treating it as a living document, with updates expected regularly.

--
J.D. Falk
Return Path Inc