nanog mailing list archives

Study of IPv6 Deployment

From: "Elliott Karpilovsky" <elliottk () CS Princeton EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 23:56:52 -0400

Hello everyone. My name is Elliott Karpilovsky, a student at Princeton University. In collaboration with Alex Gerber
(AT&T Research), Dan Pei (AT&T Research), Jennifer Rexford (Princeton University), and Aman Shaikh (AT&T Research), we
studied the extent of IPv6 deployment at both global and local levels. Our conclusions can be summarized by the
following three points:

1.) IPv6 deployment is not seen as a pressing issue.
2.) We saw a lack of meaningful IPv6 traffic (mostly DNS/Domain and ICMP messages), possibly indicating that IPv6
networks are still experimental.
3.) Studying Teredo traffic suggested that it may be used for NAT busting by P2P networks.

Our paper (submitted and presented at PAM 2009) can be found at http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~elliottk/ipv6study.html .
If you have comments or feedback with respect to these results, please feel free to express them.

Thank you.