nanog mailing list archives

Re: OOB customer communications (Re: Looking for Support Contact at Equifax)

From: Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:31:02 -0600

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

If your email and phone communications are down due to a connectivity
break, and your customers get connectivity from you [assume no backup
links, by default .. you'd be surprised at how many smaller customers
get by with a single link and no backups at all.  If their
connectivity is down too - they just cant get to twitter right?

I can post status updates to our noc twitter account from my cell phone (so no reliance on local network) and any customers who are using a smartphone device can get updates from their mobile, also wholly OOB from our network. I imagine there's a way to get updates via pure SMS too. I think it's the melding of the mobile with the Internet that is what gives Twitter its real power.

I agree however that if the only Twitter access is via regular computer it loses most of its value in this situation.

Mike