nanog mailing list archives

Re: IXP

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () isc org>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 16:15:24 +0000

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 16:35:51 +0100
From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>

... i just don't care if people use L2 connectivity to get to an exchange
from a router somewhere else on their LAN. They have one mac address to
play around with, and if they start leaking mac addresses towards the
exchange fabric, all they're going to do is hose their own
connectivity.

yeah we did that at PAIX.  if today's extremenetworks device has an option
to learn one MAC address per port and no more, it's because we had a
terrible time getting people to register their new MAC address when they'd
change out interface cards or routers.  hilarious levels of fingerpointing
and downtime later, our switch vendor added a knob for us.  but we still
saw typo's in IP address configurations whereby someone could answer ARPs
for somebody else's IP.  when i left PAIX (the day MFN entered bankruptcy)
we were negotiating for more switch knobs to prevent accidental and/or
malicious ARP poisoning.  (and note, this was on top of a no-L2-devices
rule which included draconian auditing rights for L2/L3 capable hardware.)

As you've noted, there is a natural progression for services providers
here from shared access to pni, which advances according to the business
and financial requirements of the parties involved. If exchange users
decide to move from shared access peering to PNI, good for them - it
means their business is doing well. But this doesn't mean that IXPs don't
offer an important level of service to their constituents. Because of
them, the isp industry has convenient access to dense interconnection at
a pretty decent price.

yes, that's the progression of success.  and my way of designing for
success is to start people off with VNI's (two-port VLANs containing one
peering) so that when they move from shared-access to dedicated they're
just moving from a virtual wire to a physical wire without losing any of
the side-benefits they may have got from a shared-access peering fabric.

Q in Q is not how i'd build this... cisco and juniper both have
hardware tunnelling capabilities that support this stuff...  it just
means as the IXP fabric grows it has to become router-based.

Hey, I have an idea: you could take this plan and build a tunnel-based or
even a native IP access IXP platform like this, extend it to multiple
locations and then buy transit from a bunch of companies which would give
you a native L3 based IXP with either client prefixes only or else an
option for full DFZ connectivity over the exchange fabric.  You could
even build a global IXP on this basis!  It's a brilliant idea, and I just
can't imagine why no-one thought of it before.

:-).

i've been known to extend IXP fabrics to cover a metro, but never beyond.