nanog mailing list archives

Re: IXP

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:05:49 -0700

Sorry, hit "send" a little early, by accident.

On Apr 17, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:
with the advent of vlan tags, the whole idea of CSMA for IXP networks is passe.
just put each pair of peers into their own private tagged vlan.

I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic, and if I'm not sure, I bet people who don't know you really aren't sure. So: the only nominal IXP I know of where that's really been experimented with seriously is MYIX, in Kuala Lumpur, where it's been a notable failure. The other 300-and-some IXPs do things normally, with an IX subnet that people can peer across. So, the advent of standardized . 1Q tags in 1998, preceded by ISL for many years before that, has not yet rendered the 99.6% majority best-practice passe.

Just a clarification.

                                -Bill