nanog mailing list archives

Re: So I've got this 2.5gig wave, what do I do with it?

From: Kevin Hunt <khunt () huntbrothers com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:27:38 -0500

On 4/16/09 6:34 PM, "will () loopfree net" <will () loopfree net> wrote:

Due to the vagaries of telecom pricing, I've ended up with a 2.5gig
wavelength service between two locations when what I really wanted was a
gig-e or two.

I'm really not sure if this is a "transparent" wave service or not...
the carrier is using gear from Ciena to hand it off to us and they seem
to be big on transparent waves, so maybe it is, but nobody seems to be
able to say for sure.

We use these types of circuits and I manage several others for clients.
Every time I turn one up I make sure I talk to an engineer and ask if they
are expecting a 2.5Gig signal and just going to use transponders to put my
1310nm signal into a DWDM color send it to the other side, and transponder
it back to 1310nm.  They've always said that's exactly what they are doing.

I used Cerent 15454 (now Cisco) w/ Oc48 IR 1310 cards facing the wave, and
proper cross connect and Gig cards (carefull here) facing my gig switches.
Shoot me an off list message and I'll help you w/ the ins and outs and share
the costs we budget for such.
I haven't used MRV but they look appealing, would love to hear other folks
experience with them as I'm about to have to turn another two of these up...

--

W. Kevin Hunt
CCIE #11841