nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for AT&T / Verizon / Sprint WWAN service impressions - on or off-list replies welcome

From: Charles Wyble <charles () thewybles com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:02:16 -0700

Crooks, Sam wrote:
I'm considering use of AT&T / Verizon / Sprint WWAN services and the
Cisco 3G router interface cards/integrated module in C880 routers for
primary or backup WAN network connectivity for routers.

I haven't used the integrated cards with cisco gear. However I do have 300+ cards deployed throughout the United States (EVDO USB modems on Linux boxes).

I'm looking for information from users of these services on the
following:
- addressing - Do these WWAN services use dynamic, PPPoE or static IP
assignment typically? Any of the 3? All?
   - is static IP assignment available?

We have static IP assignment for our Verizon cards. Sprint cards aren't static.

- do these service providers use NAT within their network?

Verizon doesn't. Not sure about Sprint. T-mobile doesn't either.

- How is the service reliability?  In most cases, is the service
available for use when you need to use it?

We have found it to be quite reliable, although a small subset (about 15 to 20 connections) have been giving us issues. I posted on this last week or so. No resolution from Verizon as of yet.

- How is the service coverage area?  Do you have problems getting
sufficient coverage in the deplouyment location to support desired
speeds (say 512kbps up/down as a minimum)?

Frequently you will need to deploy an external antenna as a booster. Dunno if the Cisco cards have the option, but I would imagine they do. It's almost a necessity in the vast majority of indoor deployments.

- is ESP / IKE / IPsec permitted through un-rate-limited and un-molested
by the providers?
- If you build a IPsec/GRE tunnel over these services, do you have
frequent issues with the tunnel dropping, or a dynamic routing protocol
running through the tunnel going down frequently?

We use OpenVPN without incident. Dunno bout GRE/IPSEC.

Also interested in similar information on impressions of similar EMEA
WWAN service providers, particularly Vodaphone and T-Mobile, if anyone
has experiences with these.

I have used T-mobile EDGE via Linux with great success (even ran a skype conference call over it). See my blog post on the configuration at:
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com/2008/10/blackberry-pearl-8120-linux-ubuntu-804.html

Speed tests I did gave me 126k. So you would most likely want HSDPA for sure. I have yet to try HSDPA but hear excellent things about it. They recently released a USB dongle which does wifi/hsdpa/edge. See http://www.i4u.com/article23865.html for more.

I agree with the other posters about POC and site survey. All sorts of strange environmental issues can pop up and wreak havoc on signal.

This for branch office environments? Retail? Industrial? (My deployments are retail locations).