nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fiber cut in SF area

From: "Robert M. Enger" <enger () enger us>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 15:58:32 -0400

That AT&T has stopped provisioning protection fiber for automatic restoral is mind boggling.

That our crack (or on crack) govt contracting/emergency-preparedness staff didn't demand protected facilities for 911 is another mind boggling issue.

That there is no over-under wide-area back-up coverage for the cellular canopy ...

We posture and orate about being prepared for terrorist attacks and natural disasters, and then events like these reveal the reality:
   The emperor has no clothes.

Roy wrote:
Service to South Santa Clara county is completely down: Internet,
landline, and cellphones.  Both Verizon and AT&T are affected.  911 is
also down.

My cellphones show one or no bars.   Normally they are all four bars.

The idea that all of that is lumped in one fiber bundle is mind boggling.