nanog mailing list archives

Re: Do we still need Gi Firewall for 3G/UMTS/HSPA network ?

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 00:20:13 +0800

On Apr 9, 2009, at 11:48 PM, Lee, Steven (NSG Malaysia) wrote:

Please share your thought and thanks in advance :)

No, IMHO. Most broadband operators don't insert firewalls inline in front of their subscribers, and wireless broadband is no different.

The infrastructure itself must be protected via iACLs, the various vendor-specific control-plane protection mechanisms, and so forth, but inserting additional state in the middle of everything doesn't buy anything, and introduces additional constraints and concerns.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // +852.9133.2844 mobile

  Our dreams are still big; it's just the future that got small.

                   -- Jason Scott