nanog mailing list archives

Re: ACLs vs. full firewalls

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:46:11 +1200

On 8/04/2009, at 10:32 AM, Karl Auer wrote:

I'd be interested to hear why people use firewalls. I've never felt the
need, myself - am I living in a fool's paradise?

End hosts are not always trustworthy.

If a host is compromised, should it be able to send anything and everything out to the public network? If a host is a desktop PC controlled by an end user, should it be able to send and receive anything it wants?

IMO, host based filtering and ACLs (either firewalls or router ACLs or whatever) in the network should both be used. They fulfil different needs.

--
Nathan Ward