nanog mailing list archives

Re: ingress SMTP

From: "Winders, Timothy A" <twinders () southplainscollege edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:53:26 -0500

On 9/3/08 12:48 PM, "Alec Berry" <alec.berry () restontech com> wrote:

Winders, Timothy A wrote:

We have not setup a port 587 smtp submit server.  Our smtp servers run only
on port 25.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's just not the "right way to do things"
these days. At the very least, you can run stunnel to allow incoming
mail submission on port 465 (SMTP + SSL).

So, for us, having ISPs block port 25 is a problem.

Read: "for us, running a mail server is a problem"

Not harsh at all.  It's reality.  We do have the option for SMTP/SSL/TLS
over port 25.  It is only required for an authenticated session.

I agree, it's not the "right way to do things".  Running a mail server used
to be much easier.  Volunteers to help set things up "the right way" are
always welcome.  :-)

Otherwise, it will happen "eventually".  :-(

Tim Winders | Associate Dean of Information Technology | South Plains
College