nanog mailing list archives

Re: Procedure to Change Nameservers

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 02:57:35 +0000

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 07:31:37PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
----- "Crist Clark" <Crist.Clark () globalstar com> wrote:
I want to change the nameservers for a bunch of domains. Really,
all I want to do is change the IP address, but it seems easier
just to change both the name and IP to avoid any possibility of
confusion. However, I am not "physically" moving the services.
These are the same physical servers, just an additional IP address
assigned to the appropriate interface. I want to do this the
"right" way.

Not really too bad. At least we don't have to send in host
record templates anymore.

In fact, some registrars do require that they have the new zone nameserver
names and IP addresses registered, at least with themselves, and if it's a
new zone, you may not be able to put them inside the zone on first setup;
Domain Discover just did this to me on a change, and I believe I've had the
latter happen to me as well: the automated system wanted to *validate* the
IP to name mapping in... um, DNS.

For a new domain.

Which wasn't up yet.

<sigh>

Cheers,
-- jra

        well, wearing my oldschool hat, the service should be working on the
authoritative servers -prior- to asking the parent to jump in - do some work - and
send me a bill.  validation can work just fine w/ address literals.

--bill