nanog mailing list archives

Re: 198.32.64.12 -- Harmless mis-route or potential exploit?

From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 22:08:10 -0400

On 9/2/08, Todd Underwood <todd-nanog () renesys com> wrote:

 checking our current data, that block is not currently routed by any
 of our peers over the last month (i would assume ripe ris and
 routeviews report similar data, but i did not check them.

it's also probably worth stating that parts of 198.32/16 are never
routed anywhere on the Internet (here comes bill to tell me 'who's
Internet?' .....). Some is in use on private networks, some is in use
at exchange points and not routed outside the immediate peers.

Most times, as I recall, epnet does a decent job of keeping the whois
data or rdns data updated though, for things in use. (though possibly
not for private uses)

-chris