nanog mailing list archives

Re: Force10 Gear - Opinions

From: "Paul Wall" <pauldotwall () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 13:03:47 -0400

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett () netconsonance com> wrote:
Linksys, D-Link, SMC, etc are able to pull it off on the layer 3
switches sold at Fry's for a couple benjamins a pop.  :)

I am.  All of these boxes can forward packets at line rate, and list
for a fraction of the price of the Force 10 S-Series.

You and I (and any real network operator) must have different definitions of
"forward at line rate".

"forwards a gig-e full of 64 byte packets, random src/dst, when you
hook a smartbits/ixia up to it" is mine.  What's yours?

Mind you, this is probably one of the more useless metrics for vendor
selection these days, and nobody has a major problem with it.

Drive Slow,
Paul Wall