nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering - Benefits?

From: Andy Davidson <andy () nosignal org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:20:39 +0000

On 30 Oct 2008, at 13:03, HRH Sven Olaf Prinz von CyberBunker-Kamphuis MP wrote:

internet exchanges are not per-se "redundant"

Those networks who *choose* connect to peers via a single fabric, in a single location, will suffer a similar fate to those networks who single home to one transit provider.

(the amsix with their many outages and connected parties that rely
primarliy on it's functionality is a prime example here)

I run interconnection for three networks connected to the ams-ix and can't understand why you think that the ams-ix fabric has "many outages" - I have found it, to borrow a phrase from another stable European IXP, rock solid.

internet exchanges usually are some sort of hobby computer club, you
cannot rely on them to actually -work-,

You shouldn't bet the farm on a single one of anything. My alarm clock failed once, this doesn't mean that all alarm clocks are hobbyist timekeeping devices.

Most internet exchanges are professional organisations run by a team of experts who care about the operational stability of the platform. Most in Europe are association based organisations, who's leaders are held accountable for the operational and commercial stability of the exchange, to all of the participants, at legally mandated meetings.

Its a shame if your experience at the local IXP has been less positive, perhaps look at the procedures and policies of a more sound exchange and encourage your local IXP to be run along those lines.

Andy