nanog mailing list archives

Re: The DDOS problem & security BOF: Am i mistaken?

From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:40:13 -0400

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Warren Kumari <warren () kumari net> wrote:

On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:08 PM, Scott Doty wrote:

When a vendor at the security BOF starts showing documents that are
"company
confidential", and trying to whip up a climate of fear, that we should all
deploy their product in front of our recursive name servers, i get this
funny feeling that I am being "murk spammed".

Hmmm... The vendor that you are referring to provides authoritative DNS for
many domains (and, at least some of them I view as "important", meaning that
I would prefer a correct response!). Yes, I am sure that he would be happy
to have you as a customer and, yes, this is feature that differentiates his
company, but I did not get the impression AT ALL that he was trying to sell
his service, but rather provide better service to his existing customers,
even going so far as to provide free devices to people who run large
recursive resolvers. This helps both his existing customers (who, yes, will
be more likely to continue using him), but, more importantly helps me as an
end user feel a little comfortable that the page that I am getting is the
correct page...

it's probably also worth noting that the person in question has a
history of giving away this sort of protection (in other forms) for
the DNS system... and innovating as a DNS service provider, both for
free (howdy: 4.2.2.1) and for a price.... I'm not sure I'd classify
anything he does as a sales pitch in the venue in question.

-Chris