nanog mailing list archives

Re: [funsec] McColo: Major Source of Online Scams andSpams KnockedOffline (fwd)

From: "Chris Lewis" <clewis () nortel com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:39:33 -0500

John Bambenek wrote:
Something to keep in mind.  I don't believe it was McColo that was the
end provider of "badware" per se (and I could be proven wrong), they
simply played the enabling role by hosting it and looked the other way.
Now don't get me wrong, they ought to be kicked offline for
externalizing their costs on the rest of us, but what criminal charges
could be filed here?

Aiding and abetting and conspiracy come to mind at the very least.
Knowingly facilitating child porn should have quite a few possiblities too.

But they're really hard things to prosecute on the Internet, in the face
of the plausible deniability shields they work at so carefully to erect.

That said, of course this information should be turned over to law
enforcement.  It often is.

Don't assume it hasn't already.  Previously.  Repeatedly.  And I don't
think the dust has quite settled yet.