nanog mailing list archives

Re: End of life: 'sh ip bgp' collection on route-views.routeviews.org

From: David Meyer <dmm () 1-4-5 net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:57:28 -0700

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 06:21:41AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:

We're planning to end of life collection of 'sh ip bgp'
RIBs from route-views.routeviews.org. We will of course
keep the data we have.

Please let us know if you are still using these data.

researchers do use rib shots.

it's feb 32nd 2012, and i want r-v's rib, i go back to 2008 and run in
all the updates since the last snap?  and this is viable, let alone
reliable?

        Randy,

        Its the Cisco 'sh ip bgp' format RIBs that we're planning
        to end-of-life, not the MRT format RIBs. Is that still a
        problem? In addition, we're looking at whether we can
        generate the 'sh ip bgp' format RIBs from the MRT format
        RIBs in the event someone has tools that take that format
        as input.

        One important issue is that rv2.routeviews.org (where
        many of the MRT format RIBs are generated) has a
        different peer set than route-views.routeviews.org (where
        the 'sh ip bgp' RIBs come from).  I'm working on trying
        to regularize those now.

        In any event, please let me know if the end-of-life of
        the 'sh ip bgp' format RIBs is a problem.

        Thanks,

        Dave