nanog mailing list archives

RE: rack power question

From: "Alex Rubenstein" <alex () corp nac net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:47:54 -0400

Surly we should be asking exactly is driving the demand for
high density computing and in which market sectors and is
this actually the best technical solution to solve them
problem.  I don't care if IBM, HP etc etc want to keep
selling new shiny boxes each year because they are telling us
we need them - do we really? ...?

Perhaps not. But until projects like <http://www.lesswatts.org/>
show some major success stories, people will keep demanding
big blade servers.

Disagreed. Customers who don't run datacenters general don't understand
the issues around high density computing, and most enterprises I deal
with don't care about the cost. More and Faster is their vocabulary.

If you move all the entreprise services onto virtual servers
then you can free up space for colo/hosting services.

We do quite a bit of VMWare and Xen, both our own and our customers. We
have found power consumption still goes up, simply because there is
always a backlog of the need of resources. In other words, it's almost
"if you build it they will come" relates to CPU cycles as well. I have
never seen a decrease in customer power consumption when they have
virtualized. They still have more iron, with a lot more VM's.

You can even still sell to bulk customers because few will
complain that they have to deliver equipment to three
dara centers, one two blocks west, and another three blocks
north. X racks spread over 3 locations will work for everyone
except people who need the physical proximity for clustering
type applications.

Send me those customers, because I haven't seen them. Especially the
ones with lots of fiber channel and InfiniBand.