nanog mailing list archives

Re: rack power question

From: Patrick Clochesy <patrick () chegg com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:45:30 -0700 (PDT)

Basically, that is the state of things. You're paying for power (which is also cooling) and bandwidth/connectivity.

Globix is only letting us run one 30A 240V circuit per rack for "cooling reasons", however even with our 6850s we
manage to populate a good portion of the rack. However, this means that for redundancy we cannot put anyone's partner
in crime in the same cabinet. Though Globix is the typical cold-in-front, hot-in-back setup they still seem to be
under-capacity when it comes to cooling... I think the end of the dot-com boom put a dent in their Liebert budget. It
amazes me places like Hurricane can't get enough space when there are once-decent shops like Globix with so much unused
space.

Plan your power requirements carefully, and plan on the ability to upgrade in the future. With the current trend of
high-capacity blades, it seems that it would not be impossible to find 20-25kw per cabinet not long from now. Power
distribution (if done right) is easy, cooling that density is the fun part. What's your cooling plan?

-Patrick