nanog mailing list archives

Re: NXDOMAIN data needed for survey

From: Steve Atkins <steve () blighty com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:22:01 -0700

On Mar 20, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Steve Atkins <steve () blighty com> wrote:

On Mar 20, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Ray Demain wrote:
We are looking to purchase NXDOMAIN data for an internet survey.

We prefer to receive the data on an hourly basis so it is as fresh as
possible. Our system receives the data from you via ftp that you
provide.
Its hard to value the data until we have taken a look at it. As one
example,
we pay a current partner $4000 per month for 100,000 records per
day. If you
would like to setup a test so we can determine the value of your
data please
contact me at

What company would this be for?

A domain squatting company, presumably.

Thanks, I know. I wanted to stimulate a thread that was archived for
others historical reference.

Yeah, me too.

He's also apparently Mr Domain Investments LLC, Mr herbalclicks.com,
was typosquatting on a bunch of t-mobile domains until they took them
away from him -
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2007/d2007-0919.html
- and was sued by Microsoft for sending CAN-SPAM violating spam to
hotmail users a couple of years back in the myauctionbiz.biz case -
http://spamkings.oreilly.com/MSFT-vs-Myauctionbizbiz.pdf .

I wonder who he's paying for his nxdomain data, and whether that
someone is authorized to sell it. It strikes me that it's just a small
step for someone with access to ISP internal data to go from selling
DNS logs to selling usernames too.

Cheers,
  Steve