nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer () nic fr>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:46:59 +0200

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 02:45:55PM -0700,
 Roger Marquis <marquis () roble com> wrote
 a message of 31 lines which said:

The difference between '[a-z0-9\-\.]*\.[a-z]{2-5}'

If this is a regexp for the current root zone, it is
wrong... (".museum" and the test IDNs, whose punycode encoding
contains digits and hyphens.)

Aside from the IP issues it effectively precludes anyone from
defining a hostname that cannot also be someone else's domain
name.

Interesting requirment but one which was never written down, I'm
afraid. You certainly cannot expect ICANN to comply with every
requirment that someone at Nanog may imagine every day.

Will you still think that when someone buys the right to the .nic
tld and starts harvesting your queries and query related traffic?

Be my guest. The DNS is a tree and the existence of nic.de or nic.com
was never a problem. Why should ".nic" be different?