nanog mailing list archives

Re: what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs)

From: Phil Regnauld <regnauld () catpipe net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:58:46 +0200

David Conrad (drc) writes:

Other folks believe that anything that reduces the effective monopoly
VeriSign has (through .COM and .NET) would be a good thing.  This view
holds that by increasing the number of top-level domains, you increase the
opportunities for consumer (that is, domain registrant) choice, thereby
reducing the value of any single top-level domain.

        The process ensures that too few new TLDs will be created for
        it being a threat to VeriSign, but sufficiently enough of them
        will be created that it will bring in lots of cash, if only with
        application fees, auction, but also because of the perceived rarity.

        As business models go, it's a fine example of how to build demand
        without really servicing the community.

component of this management was explicitly stated as being the promotion
of competition.  While one might argue that creating new top-level domains
doesn't really promote competition given the cost of changing from one
domain name to another, realistically, I figure there aren't many other
ways in which additional opportunities for competition can be created.

        Allowing anyone to register a TLD is one, but I do agree it's
        not necessarily a trivial model.