nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:33:34 -0400

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 04:09:30PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
Two years ago I posed the question here about the need for TLDs
(http://www.mcabee.org/lists/nanog/May-06/msg00110.html). I
summerizsed that companies IP (Intellectual Property) guidelines
would never allow domain.org to exist if they owned domain.com
(ibm.org vrs ibm.com). I felt that TLDs really represented a monetary
harvesting scheme as every new TLD forced companies to "pay for
yet another domain name" (slowly milking businesses). At that time
several knowledgeable folks commented that TLDs were necessary in the
beginning due to the need to distribute queries. Now it seems, ICANN
has decided to add a new paradigm :-) How will a TLD like .ibm be
handled now, and how is this different than what I proposed in 2006?

Could someone point me to a reference (other than a very poorly written
BBC article) that suggests that .ibm is even a valid possiblity in
light of whatever ICANN actually *is* proposing?

And no, companies *aren't* "forced to pay for another domain name" just
because a new TLD appears -- they aren't doing it *now*, by and large,
and thank ghod: a) it doesn't constitute a violation of Ford Motor's
trademark that the Ford Foundation has ford.org or a Mustang club has
ford.net and b) it's horrible DNS hygiene to do that in the first
place; it re-flattens the TLD namespace.  I certainly advise my clients
not to do things that foolish.  I'm sure Randy encourages me in this.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra () baylink com

             Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
               -- (Joseph Stalin)