nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cable Colors

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:26:22 -0700

Joe Greco wrote:
Speaking of cables and veering off towards cable-making, I was wondering
what people thought of the so-called "EZ RJ45" stuff.  One of the hazards
of doing long-term cut-to-length wiring is that if a crimp really goes
wrong, you might mess up your artistic work or need to re-cut a new cable.
Even having done as many cables as I've done, I occasionally have one go
bad.  The EZ stuff looks like an interesting compromise, does anyone with
a few thousand crimps worth of experience with it have any comments?

They make a crimper specifically for it, which cuts of the ends. I haven't done a few thousand ends with it but it does make it slightly easier to maintain the twist further into the the plug because you can pull it until snug.

I crimp infrequently enough that I occasionally don't get a spec cable when using conventional connectors.

... JG