nanog mailing list archives

Re: Replacement for Avaya CNA/RouteScience

From: "Paul Wall" <pauldotwall () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:25:11 -0400

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Drew Weaver <drew.weaver () thenap com> wrote:
       Howdy for reasons it might be inappropriate to discuss on this list we've decided that we're going to replace
our Avaya/RouteScience box and we're looking for recommendations on different solutions for 'BGP management
appliances'.

       We're aware of the Internap FCP product, but is there anything else out there besides 'oy, hire a BGP admin ya
tool!' that anyone can offer?

Going off this and previous posts, you'd well-served to follow the
advice you sarcastically dispense, and hire an engineer.

Opex and capex (spread over a ~2 year product lifetime) costs for the
above solutions in a small (several gigabits, several transit
providers) environment are right up there with the salary of a junior
to mid-level networking professional in most markets.  By hiring a
live human, you get not only somebody who can tweak localpref, but
also a critical thinker who can aid in troubleshooting outages and
help you plan for growth.

Paul