nanog mailing list archives

Re: Federal Government Interest in your patch progress

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:36:57 -0400

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:07:40 -0400
Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:04:59AM -0500, Jorge Amodio wrote:

       So, you say that(sarcasm).  I just got off a 45 minute
call where the US
Federal government is interested in how to effectively
communicate to the infrastructure operators the importance and
risks of not upgrading the resolvers.

Just tell them to call the head of DoC and explain why is so
important and imperative to come up with an acceptable/reasonable
signing authority and enable the deployment of DNSSEC. The patch is
just a workaround, it does not fix the underlying problem that has
been there for very long time.

      I raised that issue earlier in the week with some parts of
the US Feds already.

      Personally, I see this event as major driver for deploying
dnssec.

I've been talking to US Gov't folks, too.  They really want DNSSEC (and
secure BGP...) deployed.