nanog mailing list archives

Re: Exploit for DNS Cache Poisoning - RELEASED

From: "Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET" <ml () t-b-o-h net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:41:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <ml () t-b-o-h net> wrote:

- -- "Robert D. Scott" <robert () ufl edu> wrote:

Now, there is an exploit for it.

http://www.caughq.org/exploits/CAU-EX-2008-0002.txt

Now also (mirrored) here:

 http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/6122

...and probably a slew of other places, too. ;-)

        The changes the put into metasploit for this don't seem
to work if running from FreeBSD 5.5, possibly other BSD's and
versions from talking to the author.

               Tuc/TBOH

True. On FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE (updated on Fri May 23) it fails to create raw
socket:
[-] This module is configured to use a raw IP socket. On Unix systems, only
the root user is allowed to create raw sockets.Please run the framework as
root to use this module.

[*] Attempting to inject poison records for example.com.'s nameservers into
202.72.241.4:55088...
[-] Auxiliary failed: undefined method `sendto' for nil:NilClass

        Sorry, I just checked it on 7.0 earlier today.

        If you happen to know any FreeBSD Ruby programmers with heavy socket
experience, it would really be helpful. :-D

        I haven't tried the Python one yet. Probably later today.

                        Tuc/TBOH