nanog mailing list archives

Re: virtual aggregation in IETF

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:35:48 -0400

Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com> writes:

That said I think you're headed to high end again. It has been
routinetly posited that fib growth hurts the people on the edge more
than in the center. I don't buy that for the reason outlined in my
original response. If my pps requirements are moderate my software
router can carry a fib of effectively arbitrary size at a lower cost
than carrying the same fib in cam.

While that's true, planned obsolescence in terms of ram
non-expandability from certain <cough> vendors leaves people on the
edge (who often have to scrape by on thin budgets) hurting badly
enough as to offset any theoretical software-vs-hardware router
advantage they may have originally had.

-r