nanog mailing list archives

Re: Analysing traces for performance bottlenecks

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:03:25 -0700

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:05:34 +0100

Hi,

Are there any packages (or Wireshark options that I've missed) that can
follow a TCP stream and determine the limiting factor on throughput. E.g
Latency, packet loss, out of sequence packets, window size, or even just
the senders rate onto the wire. I know how to analyse a trace by hand
for performance issues, but it's relatively time consuming.

Googling for variations on "Analyse TCP stream limit throughput" didn't
find anything.

tcptrace is old and pretty basic, but it can provide a LOT if
information. Combined with xplot, the graphs often point to the exact
nature of a TCP problem, but you need a really good understanding of TCP
to figure anything out.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)