nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 gluelessness

From: Bruce Campbell <bc-nanog () vicious dropbear id au>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:52:32 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, David Conrad wrote:

Randy,

On Jan 18, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
but, in actual fact, this does not change the ccTLD's zone file or date one bit. the request is to add a AAAA RR to the existing A RR *for my server* in the root zone to act as glue.

The key term here is "root zone". As you are undoubtedly aware, there are those who treat the contents of the root zone (including glue) as sanctified ground that may only be tread upon after a ritual purification, sacrifice of numerous virgin chickens, etc. Or something like that.

the iana publishes data about one of *my* servers. these data have become erroneous by omission. i am merely asking that they be fixed.

Understood. And current policy requires IANA to get explicit agreement from the AC and TC that they approve that fix (even though they are not directly responsible). As much as I might wish otherwise, IANA (in the layer 9 world it occupies) can't unilaterally change that policy.

Once you realise that layer-9 issues are the sticking factor, you quickly go the route of setting up different, ccTLD-specific names for your nameserver to ensure that future changes require just 3 parties, you as technical contact, the ccTLD admin as admin contact, and IANA.

It beats 3+N parties being involved, where N is the number of ccTLDs that you have secondaried, plus it also eases future migration when you have a secondaried ccTLD being the next hot thing in query rates.

Or you could hope that whoever processes your request at IANA doesn't check for how many ccTLDs your nameserver has ;).

--
  Bruce.

  eg, ns-XX.ripe.net where XX is the ccTLD code.