nanog mailing list archives

Re: FW: ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:56:30 +0900

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008, Mark Smith wrote:

But the fat man isn't allowed to take up residence in the restaurant
and continously eat - he's only allowed to be there in bursts, like we
used to be able to assume people would use networks they're connected
to. "Left running" P2P is the fat man never leaving and never stopping
eating.

ffs, stop with the crappy analogies.

The internet is like a badly designed commodity network. Built increasingly
cheaper to deal with market pressures and unable to shift quickly to shifting
technologies.

Just like the telcos I recall everyone blasting when I was last actually
involved in networks bigger than a university campus.

Adrian