nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:30:48 -0500

On Jan 2, 2008 1:05 PM, Joe Abley <jabley () ca afilias info> wrote:

On 2-Jan-2008, at 10:21, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 2 jan 2008, at 6:42, Christopher Morrow wrote:

out of curiousity how is this sort of thing supposed to be done in
v6?
(traffic engineering given the '1 prefix per ISP' standard mantra)

AS path prepending, local preference, that kind of thing...

Common practice with IPv4 seems to suggest that those knobs aren't
sufficient in real life; people still find it necessary to carve up
their aggregates and announce more-specifics in strategic directions.
I would suggest that not *all* observed instances of such
deaggregation are due to operator ignorance :-)

I think this goes back to my point about DHCP, today there is a
business practice and set of business requirements that work for a
host of reasons. Expecting that in v6 these requirements will
evaporate is not wise. There will have to be some useful TE knobs, I
think the operations community would probably like to see those knobs
NOT be 'deaggragate' so what other options are there for someone with
a single prefix (especially when that prefix is very large).

-chris