nanog mailing list archives

Re: Q: What do ISPs really think about security issues?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:54:51 -0500

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 09:20:05AM +0000, Paul Ferguson wrote:

As some of you may know, my primary job these days is tracking down
Bad Guys (tm), identifying threats, etc.

But enough of that.

One of my primary concerns has been, unsuccessfully, engaging the
networking community.

Why is that?

This "issue" is not imagined, nor is it a scare tactic -- it has,
for lack of a better analogy, grown in proportions only proportional
to the lack of engagement from ISPs.

ISPs have really, really been absent from the discussion, for various
reasons.

        What discussions do you vaguely speak of?  nsp-sec?  nsp-sec BoF
@ NANOG?  FIRST? it-scc.org?  commscc.org? IT-ISAC? NCS? the ITU-D
Cybersecurity stuff?  NSTAC?  There's all sorts of forums that relate
to security that are defined by different criteria or self-selecting.

Is this a topic that the NANOG community would like to discuss in
a serious manner?

        I think it'd discussed at NANOG and even has it's own BoF.  Without
you providing more context of what you mean, it's hard to say.

I'm just curious, because I'm considering submitting a "lightning
talk" at the upcoming San Jose NANOG, just to gauge & present some
of the major issues that we are seeing that could really use your
assistance.

        - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net