nanog mailing list archives

Re: Qwest desires mesh to reduce unused standby capacity

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:54:05 +0900

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008, Joe Abley wrote:

On 28-Feb-2008, at 09:26, Adrian Chadd wrote:

Then you probably haven't been on the ass end of a continental fibre
link
drop. That actually mattered.

If both sides of your SONET ring drop, then surely you're as dead in
the water as you would be if each side of the ring was being used as a
separate, unprotected circuit.

(But quite possibly I'm missing your point.)

Well, the "someone goes and uses as much of their link capacity as they
can, then they lose a 10ge circuit, and suddenly everything is degraded
beyond usefulness."

I'm way, way out of the loop with such things these days, but the few times
this has happened on a specific Perth <-> Sydney circuit which almost
everyone seems to use, -everything- degrades. As in, Perth seems almost
completely isolated from the rest of the country. I'm very surprised said "O"
provider doesn't have a redundant path for all the MPLS tunnels that happen
to go over it. :)

Adrian