nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another cablecut - sri lanka to suez Re: Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:37:17 +0000

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:21:00 -0800
"Scott Francis" <darkuncle () gmail com> wrote:

On Feb 1, 2008 6:37 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
wrote:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/third-undersea-cable-reportedly-cut/story.aspx?guid={1AAB2A79-E983-4E0E-BC39-68A120DC16D9}

 "We had another cut today between Dubai and Muscat three hours
back. The cable was about 80G capacity, it had telephone, Internet
data, everything," one Flag official, who declined to be named,
told Zawya Dow Jones.
The cable, known as Falcon, delivers services to countries in the
Mediterranean and Gulf region, he added.

this (3 undersea cables in about a week, serving the same geographic
area, with two of the cuts happening on the same day!) is leaving the
realm of improbability and approaching the realm of conspiracy ...

(either that, or the backhoe operators' union has decided there's
better money to be made on water than on land.)

Yah.  I'm a security guy, and hence suspicious by nature -- our slogan
is "Paranoia is our Profession" -- and I'm getting very concerned.  The
old saying comes to mind: "once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
but the third time is enemy action".  The alternative some common mode
failure -- perhaps the storm others have noted.