nanog mailing list archives

Re: Failover solution using BGP

From: "William Herrin" <herrin-nanog () dirtside com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:29:32 -0500

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Naveen Nathan <naveen () calpop com> wrote:
I have a client that would like to announce a /18 & /19 over BGP in
Sacramento and LA, us being the second location in LA. Our location
will be a failover location incase Sacramento goes down.

They want failover for extreme cases when they're completly down in
Sacramento. They have strict requirements so that traffic to their blocks
should exclusively go to Sacramento or LA.

Announce from Sacramento normally.
Announce from LA with an AS prepend 3 or 4 deep.
GRE tunnel from LA back to Sacramento diverting the few packets which
insist on going to LA back to Sacramento during normal operation.

Or conditionally announce in LA based on a monitoring process which
watches Sacramento and deal with the extra complexity and longer
restoration time.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004