nanog mailing list archives

RE: an over-the-top data center

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:18:39 -0500

But we aren't talking about the military here, are we? We are talking
about an ISP on an ISP forum.

Yes.... but in a disaster scenario where critical communication links
are down the military would respond and reestablish the links, if for
nothing else to re establish situational awareness for themselves.

This is getting off-topic in a big way, but I can pretty much assure you that the US military isn't going to be
re-establishing ISP circuits for the military's situational awareness. I can't speak of the Swedish military. In
most countries with a big-bad-military, the most the military will do is allow the commercial entities to expedite
their own repairs and perhaps bypass certain permit requirements -- which is as it should be.

If this is the reason to build a bomb proof datacenter, I encourage all my competitors to do so.

Someone said it earlier, its far cheaper, and far more reliable to be massively redundant than super hardened in one
(or a few) locations. If you think you can't afford the former, but can get the latter, you don't understand what you
are solving for.

Deepak