nanog mailing list archives

Re: Gigabit Linux Routers

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () bfk de>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:08:09 +0100

* Alex Thurlow:

Depending on your WAN interface, there's actually a decent amount of
stuff out there.  The cheaper alternative to me has actually always been
to get some old cisco hardware with the proper interfaces and use it for
media conversion.  I have a 6500 with Sup1As in it.  It can't take BGP
feeds with the amount of memory it has, but with the right cards, it
will give my router Ethernet and push a few million pps with no problem.

But you have to ask your peer to enable eBGP multihop, right?  Or are
there some TTL tricks you can play?

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer () bfk de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99