nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netblock reassigned from Chile to US ISP...

From: Martin List-Petersen <martin () airwire ie>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 23:56:46 +0000

Owen DeLong wrote:

On 2008-12-12, at 15:02, Martin List-Petersen wrote:

It's a misconception of some muppets, especially in IT related
products, that forget, that a lot or IT professionals do travel all
over the world and usually have a credit card in their home country.
Pure and utter nonsense.

Or perhaps the hassle of dealing with stolen US credit card numbers
from clients outside the US costs far more money than you could hope
to make back with the purchases of US nationals travelling overseas?

Could well be muppets, but surely there are other possibilities.

Sad but true, we have had to turn off signups outside the US because
of that very problem. Yes, I am sure we lose some sales, but in
general it is not worth the fraud costs.

Why don't the fraudsters just use Open US Proxies?

You can be sure, that the people wanting to defraud merchants know all
these tricks and use them. The verified by visa password option is a far
better solution, but I've not seen many US merchants supporting that yet.

Instead they're relying on outdated geoip data or ask people to fax a
copy of their credit card.

/Martin
--
Airwire - Ag Nascadh Pobal an Iarthar