nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:22:56 -0400

Randy Bush <randy () psg com> writes:

bogon block     attacks % of attacks
0.0.0.0/7       65      0.01
2.0.0.0/8       3       0.00
5.0.0.0/8       3       0.00
10.0.0.0/8      8794    1.21
23.0.0.0/8      4       0.00
27.0.0.0/8      7       0.00
92.0.0.0/6      101     0.01
100.0.0.0/6     374     0.05
104.0.0.0/5     303     0.04
112.0.0.0/5     775     0.11
120.0.0.0/8     45      0.01
127.0.0.0/8     6       0.00
172.16.0.0/12   3646    0.50
174.0.0.0/7     1       0.00
176.0.0.0/5     1       0.00
192.168.0.0/16  7451    1.02
223.0.0.0/8     10      0.00
224.0.0.0/3     8       0.00

well, we can see why andree wanted to look behind the 1918 stuff.  it is
the elephant.

thanks, danny!

randy

In other words, our earlier estimate of 60% was way off...  you can
get 92.1% effectiveness at bogon filtering by just dropping 1918
addresses, a filter that you will never have to change.

What's the operational cost trade-off with going after that remaining
7.9%?  I'll betcha it's not justifiable.  Maybe it's time to change
the best current practices we recommend so that they stop biting us in
the ass every time a chunk of our ever-dwindling pool of unused
address space goes into play.

My uncle used to tell this joke:

Q:  Why did the man hit himself in the head with a hammer?
A:  Because it felt so good when he stopped?

-r