nanog mailing list archives

Re: impossible circuit

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:22:28 -0400

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 03:17:18PM -0500, Justin Shore wrote:
The OS X update I applied was the one that installed a host-based
firewall.  The update automatically turned on the FW and permitted all
local servers that were configured to run, in my case SSH, with
everything else being denied.  The FW on the OS X box normally wouldn't
see packets not destined for it until you put a nic in promisc mode such
as what happens when you run EtherPeek.  The OS X box's FW was getting
hits from traffic denied by it's ACL and was sending TCP RSTs faster
than hosts on the 'Net could respond.  It did this for everything except
SSH which it permitted (but higher up the IP stack it ignored because
the IP packet was address to the local box).

This isn't in any way related to the problem at hand but it does
demonstrate that weird things happen when devices in unusual places
flood out all ports.

And this explains why in Bellovin's Wily Hacker book, there's an
anecdote about a sniffer machine on which they had to *physically cut
the transmit wire* because they could *not* get the machine to not...
do something.  ARP queries?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra () baylink com

             Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
               -- (Josef Stalin)