nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS attacks evolve

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul () somewhere com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 18:50:42 -0400

On Aug 9, 2008, at 6:23 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
second, please think carefully about the word "severe". any time someone can cheerfully hammer you at full-GigE speed for 10 hours, you've got some
trouble, and you'll need to monitor for those troubles.  11 seconds of
10MBit/sec fit my definition of "severe". 10 hours at 1000MBit/sec doesn't.

I think what we're seeing here is the realization that DNS hosting, like web hosting, is no longer something that can simply be done by tossing a machine on the internet and leaving it there; it needs professional management, monitoring and updates. That's always a hard transition for some people to make, but it's one that has to be made; that's the world we live in.

Kee Hinckley
CEO/CTO Somewhere Inc.
Somewhere: http://www.somewhere.com/
TechnoSocial: http://xrl.us/bh35i
I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate those of everybody else.